- I am sure God sees me as many different people at one and the same time: beloved, insane, broken and saintly, cracked and whole.
- Blessed are the cracked for it is we who let in the Light. Blessed are the fearless for they shall see God.
- In the journey towards healing, it is vital that I remember that I live between the Already and the Not Yet.
- God delights in me, in you, every moment of our days whether we are scared or at our craziest.
- Lose the need for a DESTINATION and know that CURIOSITY is far better than control.
- I am learning that the people God has placed around me do not need me to correct or validate their feelings; they need me to LISTEN and to be clear, consistent, loving and compassionate.
- More and more day by day, I am coming to understand that Grace is like an ever-flowing river and all I need do is come to that river and drink to my fill. And I need to understand that reality for others as well: Grace is always available to them as well. My role is to tell them, show them, and if need be walk with them to the banks of this river. But it is they who must drink from it and I must never block passage to this ever-flowing river.
- Prayer always ‘works’: either it works on me or in me; it works on my response to circumstances and events; or it works on the events themselves; but always (all ways) it works by leading me closer to God.
A thought on ‘militant self acceptance’ – it is not about self-improvement but radical self acceptance. And in the absurdity (Albert Camus reference) of totally embracing every single part of me something miraculous occurs: I discover the real me and thereby grow in self awareness and learn just exactly who the man is that God made.
A Truth: anyone can be used by God as a messenger, anyone. It is my place to only listen and discern, not to judge the quality of the messenger.
Some secrets to Joy: let go of hatred; let go of worry; practice kindness & forgiveness; live simply; give more; and expect less.
A Prayer: I have been praying a prayer from the German mystic Meister Eckhart: “I pray God to rid me of God [so that God can reveal himself to me in truth].”
Practice Makes Progress: I was a jerk to someone the other day and the truth smacked me in the face: I can either practice being right or I can practice kindness. A thick head makes for a somewhat painful learning curve for this ragamuffin earthy monk…
On Gratitude: gratitude takes me from being closed to being open, and opening up leads me to see just how blessed I am and how much I have been given so that I can be a blessing to others. Gratitude leads me away from resentment, arrogance and judgment into a place of forgiveness, acceptance and grace. The attitude I must have is one of gratitude for in every circumstance, every encounter, and every person lies an opportunity for me to see God and to share God. Every opposition, taken with gratitude, becomes an opportunity to meet God and give his love away.